Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review: Imperial Blades for the Dremel Multi-Max

I got a little variety pack of Imperial blades from Amazon, mainly to try the MM300 blade that's supposed to cut nails. I have the corded Dremel Multi-Max (model 6300). My first impression was how much thicker and heavier the blades are, compared to the stock Dremel blades. Seems like a good thing. Unfortunately, the wide MM150 blade is so heavy that it vibrates the tool like crazy, making it tough to control and uncomfortable to hold. I'm sure the bearings aren't liking it much either.  The cap screw that holds the blade on also vibrated loose after a few seconds.  I don't really think this blade is usable on this tool.

I did use the MM200 blade (1-1/4" coarse-tooth) to flush-trim a few feet of plywood that was sticking slightly out of a framing assembly in a skylight.  It worked really well, one of those situations where I would have been at a loss to do the job without this saw.  The blade itself was appropriate for the job, cutting quickly and surely.  I'm happy with the performance.  Unfortunately, the universal hole pattern didn't quite fit my Dremel saw, and I sort of had to pry it off the little pegs after removing the retaining bolt, which bent the blade a little.

The MM300 metal cutting blade did live up to my hopes.  It can reach into framing gaps and cut nails out in corners where you can't go with a reciprocating saw.  I don't think there's a better solution if you want to do clean, precise dissection of an old house.  I got in a weird little corner at the end of a kneewall and cut through the nails to remove a stud very easily, with no damage to anything.  I'll be able to reinstall the stud when I'm done.

I really want to like these blades.  They're made in the USA and they're a lot cheaper than the Dremel branded options, but I wouldn't bother with the MM150 for the Dremel.  It might work better on a heavier tool like the Fein Multimaster.