Back at the parking lot, we went to look around in a wooded area that had been cleared of underbrush a couple of years before. I found a wet chunk of mystery log, only slightly rotted, and we took it home with the other materials. She insisted on hauling the log into the garage on her own.
I cut the log in half on the bandsaw. I can't identify the wood species, but I suspect it to be Prunus laurocerasus, English or Cherry Laurel. It's a common invasive escapee in the woodlands around the city. The wood was pretty dense, had no odor, and had a bit of spalting. I quartered the round to make a blank for the lathe.
Once I got it on the lathe, it wasn't the best turning material. Chunks tore out during roughing, and it cut fuzzy unless I used a very sharp skew and a light cut. I sketched an outline on the blank before I started the shaping.
I sanded the little vase, but didn't put any finish on it, mostly because it was still soaking wet. If it doesn't self-destruct from the drying process, I might put some shellac on it in a few months. All in all, it turned out pretty cute for something made of materials collected by a toddler.
|Not bad for "flowers" in mid-winter|